Our Hemp Sunflower Pumpkin Seed bar is one of our lowest sugar and highest protein bars - plus, it tastes pretty dang great. But here's the thing, hemp was shrouded in confusion and controversy for a long time. We're here to clear the air and shed a little light on what exactly this superseed is all about.
What is hemp?
Hemp is a plant. Furthermore, it is a domesticated crop that has been used for thousands of years to create paper and textiles. It is a renewable resource that can be used for things like clothes, food, construction materials, biofuel and more!
What is hemp not?
Hemp is not marijuana! It is, however, part of the same species of cannabis plants. Hemp cannot get you high, unless you get high off of excitement for really cool plants. You will not test positive for THC or drug use just from eating hemp.
Nutritional benefits of hemp:
Did you know that hemp contains all nine essential amino acids?
These are the necessary amino acids that the human body cannot produce itself, so we have to get them from our diet.
Here are some awesome nutritional aspects of hemp, thanks to those amino acids:
- Hemp hearts can be a great replacement source of energy without the addition of caffeine or sugar!
- Hemp provides the essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6 in a healthy 3:1 ratio, including GLA, which is a hard to get Omega-6.
- These fatty acids help control inflammation, help fight depression and control a number of chronic illnesses.
- The protein helps curb hunger in between meals, keeping you full for longer.
- Hemp is high in vitamins A, B, D and E.
- Hemp is great for digestion as it is high in both soluble and insoluble fiber.
How to add hemp to your diet:
Eat more Thunderbird bars! Like our Hemp Sunflower Pumpkin Seed bar, which has 7g of protein - making it the perfect post-workout or mid-day snack! Sure, it's not a "protein bar," but the protein that is in it is high quality protein that packs a serious punch.
Pick up some hemp hearts! You can find them in most health food stores or even your local grocery store. They're easy to add to smoothies, salads, granola, baked goods, breads, or anything you're cooking up!
Check out this breakfast bowl with fresh strawberries, kiwis and hemp hearts!
To sum it all up....
We love hemp!